Monday, April 26, 2010

Cocona corporate identity – a case study

Earlier in the year I was working on a corporate identity for ‘Cocona’ a new St Albans-based business. The business sells cool, contemporary, outdoor, rattan furniture.

pencilroughs

So I sketched out dozens of different logo options – these are just a few. Cocona is the name of a tropical fruit so there was a little detour around considering references to fruit and seeds. And whilst trying that option, I discovered that the letters of the company name happened to all be letters that could primarily be made from circles. So finally, a minimalist rendition of letters made of circles was the option that the business partners and I wanted to go for.

logovisuals

I fine-tuned the details of the shapes and thickness of the letters – whether the ends of the letters should be rounded or flat – and eventually we settled on this final logotype.

logo_turquoise

The palette of chocolate and turquoise having been chosen,
the next challenge was how to produce printed publicity – in advance of receiving the furniture – using the low-resolution photographs supplied by the manufacturer. The solution I came up with, was to use moo business cards. The photographs were crisp – so long as they were reproduced at small business-card size. Moo uses variable print technology, which meant we could economically print up to 50 different images on one side of the business cards. Contact details were on one side, and on the reverse, where we could have innumerable options, we had about 20 different images of the products, together with a few type-only options.

cocona cards

So now the Cocona team can fan out their business cards and the full range of their furniture can be displayed.



If my garden and patio wasn’t littered with bikes and canoes, I’d be picking out some of this furniture for myself for the summer, because they have some gorgeous stuff.

7 Comments:

Blogger Judith said...

I find this process fascinating, ever since you first introduced me to it. I wish I had a corporate identity you could design for, but mine weighs in at 11 stone at the moment is best left unobserved!

4/27/2010 8:04 AM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Yes, Judith – I think it's interesting to show that there is in fact quite a lot of work behind something that is apparently so simple.

4/27/2010 11:51 AM  
Blogger Jayesh-Sivan said...

Great work. I liked your identity design, its really interesting.

5/10/2010 12:26 PM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Thanks Jayesh. I took a look at your blog – you have some nice stuff there.

5/11/2010 4:57 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I love seeing people's sketches! Thanks for including those.

10/27/2010 9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simple but looking nice. Plastic Business Cards

4/09/2011 12:48 PM  
Blogger خدمات منزلية said...

شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالجبيل
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالقطيف
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالخبر
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالاحساء
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالقصيم
شركة مكافحة حشرات ببريدة
شركة مكافحة حشرات بعنيزة

8/29/2021 11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home