Sunday, March 28, 2010

Julie Oakley, BA Hons, MA RCA, MCSD, FRSA, MCIM and Complete and Utter Eejit*

What do you think about people signing off using their educational and professional qualifications after their names? When I first started out in business I had two lots of business cards printed, one with letters and one without. In the end I grew up and realised I looked such an idiot handing out cards with qualifications that I threw them away.

Now, I find I cringe whenever I see people adding letters after their names, especially when with some membership organisations, it seems like the letters only seem to represent the fact that a friend or relative has recommended you and you’ve paid the subs.


I’d known a couple of friends of mine for about ten years before I discovered they each had a PhD – now that kind of understatement is what really impresses me.

*I don’t have most of these – except the CUE


4 Comments:

Blogger Penny said...

I tend to agree, John doesnt even like to put AM after his name which is sort of equivalent to I dont know perhaps a knight hood? It is the medal for the order of Australia, one of the gongs they give out for being an idiot and doing too much for the community!! You only get it after a pretty rigorous examination of what you have done.
Sorry no university honors for either of us.
Hope all is well, at least spring is coming and thank goodness here autumn with a little bit of rain.

3/28/2010 9:43 PM  
Blogger Felicity Grace said...

Completely agree - if they are supposed to make you give the person more respect they tend to have the opposite effect. I once knew a man who insisted on being called Group Captain *****, he was a big joke in the office from the top down.

3/29/2010 8:42 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Yes, it's really funny when people insist on listing all those credits, because it's in the University of the Knocks of Life that experience really matters after all. Though I was happy about the MA in Ethnomusicology though as I really enjoyed the research part of it! But I don't talk about it much... but still I haven't thrown out all those folders that no-one else would ever want to decypher. I can't even spell these days.
w.

3/29/2010 10:11 AM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

I thought most sensible people would agree with me. Apparently we might have blooming snow again Penny!

3/31/2010 12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home