Friday, December 04, 2009

Too busy to scan and post… but back to ‘the Big V’

I apologise to non St Albans readers for banging on about the Big V again, but this comment in the local paper’s website made me laugh

well_well_well, st albans says... 
9:14pm Thu 3 Dec 09
The big V, indeed.

Personally I think that the sculpture is ... evocative of something else that begins with V.

Something ... anatomical, female.

Not sure whether I'm amused or horrified by the idea of having this on display in verulamium park ...

But I'm sure that the local subculture will soon assign a new name to the sculpture.

And, by extension, to the park ...


Not that I have any objection to erotic symbolism in sculpture, but as a valiant fighter for a proper process for commissioning public art, I’ll happily publicise any criticism of this silly proposal.

If you do have some spare money going and want to support the arts, I’d really recommend you look at investing in the proposed refurbishment of the historic St Albans Odeon Cinema


Newspaper articles about the project can be found here and here.

And if you double click on the image below you can download a bigger version of the form from my flickr page which should be returned to The Rex Cinema, Berkhamsted, Herts HP4 2FG.

odeon

1 Comments:

Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Well well indeed. Men and their sculpures! When you go past it, just say hello 'Gina!
w.

12/07/2009 12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home