Tuesday, October 27, 2009

My lovely son’s eighteenth birthday

tomeighteen
We had a dinner of Tom’s choice last night to celebrate his eighteenth birthday and then just before bed, minutes into his birthday, I sketched Tom. I promise you the big head is an accident of drawing not a comment on Tom. He was off in the early hours to enjoy a holiday in Amsterdam with his boyfriend Will.
After Tom went to bed I reflected on what a joy he has been and how lucky I am to have him. I also had a giggle looking at the web page Robin made for him when he was about Xavier’s age – including listening to the clip of his high-pitched voice singing ‘The Red Flag’. He was such a thoughtful little character. At great personal suffering he refused to eat any Nestlé sweets because he’d heard on the radio about Nestlé’s aggressive marketing of infant formula milk in the third world. I do so like children with strong opinions.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bless him!
I remember that deep husky voice he had at the age of two - just like a stage his uncle Patrick went through.
Give him a kiss from me.

Rachel

10/27/2009 3:38 PM  
Blogger annie said...

Go for it, Tom! Congrats! What fun, Julie, that trip back in time, thanks to you and Robin. Precious keepsakes--gets me a little choked up, that young voice, singing, because my grandson is that age, now, and the years are flying, aren't they?
annie

10/27/2009 3:49 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

Finally getting to say we had a great day with you, wish Tom a happy birthday.
congratulations on your day trip to Brussels.
Now I know about Xaviers outfit, so much fun meeting him and you, will emailwhen I finally get time.

10/27/2009 6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home