Saturday, June 27, 2009

Summer Garden Party at Mansfield

mia and marcus borg
We went to my daughter Flo’s college for a garden party lunch and afternoon tea. Her friend Mia gave hours of her time freely to entertain the alumni and parents, and on her birthday, so thank you Mia for the lovely music.

Marcus Borg, who went to Mansfield College in the sixties gave a lecture in the afternoon in the chapel. He made some fascinating points about Christianity in the US. However the lecture was hard to follow and I think we were the embarrassing family in the audience, my husband Robin fell asleep, my hard-of-hearing father had had enough towards the end and was loudly tutting every time someone asked a question and was thus extending the length of time we spent in the chapel finally to crown it all my mobile phone went off – aaah nobody rings me on my mobile phone and the one time they do it I’m in a lecture. That’s the last time we get invited anywhere.

2 Comments:

Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Marcus Borg for real! I've read a couple of his books - he has some valid points and seems a nice guy. I'm reading a very different book - 'The Shack' but bits of it are a bit funadmentalist for me and I think it's overwritten with jargon and preachy.
w.

6/29/2009 4:26 AM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

I thought you might know who he was.

6/29/2009 2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home