Sunday, April 05, 2009

A fashionable birthday lunch

Flo and Giles Deacon
John Rocha
My friend and I celebrated our daughters’ nineteenth birthdays by having lunch at this magical restaurant in the middle of Petersham Nurseries, near Richmond. The floor was hardened earth, the waitresses wore wellies and the food was delicious. My friend’s daughter is an avid reader of Vogue, so was able to point out that we not only had one British fashion designer of the year sitting behind Flo but also another one sitting with his wife to the right of us. This is getting to become a habit – I’m going to start expecting to see celebrities and the great and the good in the world of art and design every time I eat out.

It reminds me of another friend of mine who went out for a meal at Pizza Express in London with work colleagues about 15 years ago. She said to her friends ‘Every time I go into London I see somebody famous’ and without skipping a beat she continued, ‘for instance now, Prince William has just walked in with some friends’. The friends laughed, as they had their backs to the restaurant door, but when they turned to check, there he was.

2 Comments:

Blogger annie said...

Congratulations to your daughter, Julie. It is such fun to tour England through your sketches-- they have such immediacy that it is a little like tagging along. But I don't think I have ever been around "The Great & The Good" -- not to recognize them, I mean.
annie

4/05/2009 2:43 PM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Annie living close to London is the only reason that there's a possibility of seeing these people – they're certainly not people I would ever meet!

4/06/2009 2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home