Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Orangery

The Orangery
Before lunch on Thursday, I managed to start this sketch of The Orangery, in Kensington Gardens.


Anonymous Sarah said...

I love this, the intense colours. That is one thing I'm struggling with. I can't seem to make my colours vibrant or dark - they always come out wishy washy and well, watery. :-)

3/23/2009 7:35 AM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Sarah, I usually try to rub the pan until the paint is creamy and saturated, but also you must use artists quality watercolours - products like Cotman are not going to get that depth of colour. Also I'm not averse to a little photoshop trickery (unless I'm trying to sell a piece) to saturate the colours more.

3/23/2009 10:13 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

Julie, thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge - I appreciate how precious time is (and I've only 3 children and not even a proper job...)
One last question if you get a mo'
- after your comment about using artist quality paint I'm going to spend my birthday money on some - what basic colours would you recommend to start? (I suppose I already suspected borrowing my 11yr olds WHSmith set wouldn't get the best results! Ha ha!!)

3/23/2009 12:30 PM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

The very best detailed information about all aspects of watercolour painting can be found here

He has some suggested pallettes, which are very good.I can never remember the names of the colours I have in my set.

3/23/2009 12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home