Monday, March 30, 2009

London Wall from Moorgate

London Wall
Commuter
Train Girl
I was invited to the retirement party for a design client I’ve had for about seventeen years. This city view en route to the party was mainly selected because there was a convenient bench near the corner of Moorgate and London Wall. The people were fellow train and tube travellers. Although my friend seems to have planned lots of absorbing activities it made me think about how devastating retirement can be for other people who have had a very fulfilling work life but find it difficult to make the transition to a work-free existence. Those of us who enjoy sketching are so lucky to have something that’s so enjoyable and fulfilling.

4 Comments:

Blogger Marilyn R Miller said...

Hi! Wonderful, inspirational...
I am teaching a sketchbook workshop in a few days in the wilds of Idaho, USA. Yours will be a site that I recommend to to people in attendance! Not many of us.... probably 7 or 8. mrm

3/31/2009 2:37 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Retirement is not a disaster but some people don't set up retirement as an opportunity to do many things that couldn't happen before. Lots of volunteer work available too. But some people say to me, I can't stop work - what would I do with my time?
w.

3/31/2009 7:13 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

I hate the word 'retirement'. It sounds so much like giving up on life! I like to call it "Giving up your job" because it sounds so much more positive to me! I love your sketches of the street and the buildings, you inspire me to draw from life more!x

4/03/2009 4:36 PM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Thanks very much Marilyn!
I agree Wendy - personally I'm sure I'd never run out of things to do. I'd never thought of that Jessie but you're so right. Also I don't really have to face that word as being self-employed and with virtually no pension I shall just have to carry on with whatever way I can earn money until I drop!

4/06/2009 3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home