Sunday, February 01, 2009

St Albans market

Fruit and vegetables
I ventured out in the freezing cold to sketch at our Saturday market. This is the stall I usually buy my fruit and vegetables from. By the afternoon they put all the produce in bowls and sell them off at a pound a bowl (although I don’t think it’s necessarily any cheaper than the morning prices).
Meat Van
Further down the road there’s a big refrigerated van that sells meat. I never buy meat if I’m unsure of the provenance, so this van never gets my custom, though I love the red stripey apron the stall-holder wears. In the backgound you can see the old town hall.
Cold Smokers
The ground floor of the old town hall is a café and these smokers are having to sit outside behind the plant stall to drink their coffee as it is now illegal to smoke inside in the UK. When I see the little huddled groups of smokers outside most restaurants, pubs and offices I’m so grateful I kicked the habit.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Shirley said...

These are such lively and colorful drawings - I'm impressed that you could manage them in the cold. During our year of visits to London 2006-7, we waited patiently for the no-smoking ban to make our favorite Caffe Nero coffee shop tolerable.

2/01/2009 1:01 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

Poppped over here from Making a Mark and wanted to say that I love that top sketch (and I was there once many many moons ago...). I just noticed: you started blogging the same month as me!

2/01/2009 4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home