Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Sweets from Venice

These little pastilles in their gorgeous packaging have been waiting for over a year for me to paint them. I bought them at Venice airport solely for art purposes. It’s been quite an achievement to stop the children ripping open the packaging to eat them.


Anonymous Detlef said...

This is just beautifully conceived and executed.

1/20/2009 9:58 AM  
Blogger Anita Davies said...

The painting was well worth the wait Julie, what adorable little boxes.

1/20/2009 10:11 AM  
Blogger Owen said...

Awesome and, I have to say this, it's just a pleasure to see something that has nothing to do with the event taking place in the USA today.

1/20/2009 6:05 PM  
Blogger gabi campanario said...

i can relate to the fear of kids ripping them open. the painting is fabulous, i can't get enough of this realistic style, it's brilliant

1/21/2009 4:09 AM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Thank you Detlef and Anita. Owen I'm incredibly happy about the USA event today so this may not be an Obama free site for long.
Gabi I can usually only paint like this when I'm inside and no kids around. As it was, while I painted, there was a constant threat of the littlest member of the family upending my still life.

1/21/2009 8:27 PM  
Blogger Woodland Fay said...

What colours and accuracy. I know these sweeties from Italy and it's as if I could lift one off the page. The box designs are so perfectly reproduced, quite brilliant!
Left a note about your kind comments on my blog.

1/22/2009 1:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very Glyn Boyd Hart


1/22/2009 4:06 PM  
OpenID janabouc said...

How charming! Have they been consumed yet? That must have been quite a bit of work with all the stripes and details on the packaging. Fun!

1/25/2009 5:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love those - bought some on holiday in Pisa/Florence and some for little pressies for family. We started calling them - ahem - "little nipples", for reasons that should be obvious...

2/09/2009 4:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ack! Forgot the bit that was the whole point of making the comment - which was that your painting immediately made me feel I was back on holiday. Made it a special one for me. Thanks :-)

2/09/2009 4:24 AM  
Blogger Woodland Fay said...

Was so impressed by this water colour I thought I'd have a go with advertisement material myself. You are my inspiration again, hope I've done you justice. Many regards Fay http://woodlandfay.blogspot.com/2009/02/old-town-pamplona.html

2/12/2009 8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home