Saturday, January 17, 2009

Look, before they disappear

clementines
I come back from the market laden down with these and in moments they’re gone. Tom is the main culprit – three or four at a time. This was painted in one of my new hand-made sketchbooks. Although not as gorgeous as books made by proper bookbinders such as Roz, nonetheless there is a deliciousness to a sketchbook made by my own hands filled with creamy deckle edged watercolour paper with hand-painted endpapers and my name blind-embossed on the cover. However I’m not too sure that all this preciousness isn’t a hindrance to creativity as one really has to steel oneself to paint or draw in the thing.Well now the first drawing is done, hopefully I'll stop feeling intimidated and just fill up the pages.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous painting - the reflections on the skin and open surface are fabulous. What kind of paper did you use for your book? Did you mask the areas that you left white?

1/17/2009 12:03 PM  
Blogger owenswain said...

"Oh ma- darling..." they are disappearing from our house too. Beautiful rendering.

1/17/2009 5:23 PM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

I used Saunders Waterford 90lb hot press, Shirley. I've ordered all the paper on-line and its only when it arrives that you can tell which way the grain goes and thus the size and shape books you can make with minimal wastage. As it was done at home I had the luxury of being able to mask the white.
Thank you Shirley and Owen for your kind comments

1/17/2009 8:58 PM  
Blogger Judith said...

Sschlurrmm! I could just sink my teeth directly into the screen.

Could you do us a picture of your home-made sketch book, so that we can appreciate its beauties too?

1/18/2009 8:37 AM  
Blogger Terry Banderas said...

Julie--
Beautifully done. I enjoy your work.

1/18/2009 2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home