Friday, December 26, 2008

Café Roma

caferoma
Twenty years ago when we moved to St Albans from London you couldn’t buy a decent cup of coffee in this town, however like almost everywhere in the UK we’re now awash with the stuff. This café is one of my favourite places to drink a cup of coffee, firstly because it’s not part of a Starcostabucks coffee empire, secondly they don’t use quite as many silly pretentious names for the size of your cup of coffee and thirdly it’s right next to the bus stop for the bus home. I hope they appreciate the fact that I sat outside on a freezing cold Boxing Day to immortalise them.
Pen and watercolour

5 Comments:

Blogger rob carey said...

Let's hear it for good coffee shops! I agree, what's the big deal about calling a small cup of coffee what it is? Cool sketch- worth the frozen fingers.

12/26/2008 6:54 PM  
Blogger annie said...

Oh, Noble Lady, they should surely appreciate this honor that your frozen fingers bestowed upon you-- at least a free cuppa.
annie3

I have found out that there are 3 ANNIE's enjoying blogger artists and we sometimes comment on the same pages. So since I'm the newest, here, I'll put a 3 after my name)

12/27/2008 4:07 AM  
Blogger annie said...

ooops.
"bestowed upon THEM," I mean.
annie3

12/27/2008 4:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have a wonderful Cafe Roma in Berkeley too. I'd never heard your name for Starbucks before but I like it (the other name for them I've heard is not nearly so polite, involving an "f"). I bet Roma would greatly appreciate your beautiful sketch if they saw it. Did you show it to them?

12/27/2008 6:14 PM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Hi Annie 3 I went for coffee there this morning - next time I might try showing the pic in the hopes of a free coffee.
Jana we actually have another chain called Costa coffee so my name is a composite of the two.

12/28/2008 10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home