Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Lunch with Flo

wagamamaflo
I bravely practiced the drive to Oxford on Sunday. Yes, it’s official, I am pathetic. I don’t do motorways and I need several practice runs on a new route (all on minor roads) with a competent driver next to me before I’ll even consider it to be an area I’m prepared to drive to. I think it’s all down to leaving learning to drive ’til I was in my thirties and don’t get me on to how my first driving instructor died the day before my first test, how somebody crashed into and wrote off my second instructor’s car (while I was driving it) the day before my second test, and on and on…

5 Comments:

Blogger annie said...

Bravo The Brave Julie! I didn't drive until I was 43 so I understand--I've done a lot of Practice Runs and Self-talks in my life.

Lovely, here, of Flo.
annie

11/04/2008 2:37 AM  
Blogger MD said...

Lovely drawings.
I too don't do motorways! ;-)

11/04/2008 8:50 AM  
Blogger Judith said...

I was 40 when I learned, too, and only ever did a few local and familiar stretches of motorway, (travelled previously with husband driving), where I could proceed gently in the nearside lane for the whole route. Practice runs - me too. Even left-hand turns only at times of extreme anxiety! Now I am afraid my driving range is steadily diminishing, and new routes just aren't on the cards any more.

Thank heavens for the net!

11/04/2008 1:25 PM  
Blogger Gláucia Mir said...

Just found your blogs thru a link on Owen Swain's site. What a wonderful body of work you have! I also love wagamama. I went there when my husband and I visited London on our 1st anniversary. Wish I could go again anytime, but it's a bit of a commute from the US. I love both your art projects, and I love the idea of doing one of them maybe next year. Thanks for the inspiration!

11/05/2008 1:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It doesn't matter what age you learn to drive, you could have had those bad experiences all the same.

Julie you are at least facing your fears head on, and I'm sure with time you will get more confident with your driving skills.

11/10/2008 2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home