Friday, October 31, 2008

The train back to St Albans

trainpeople
Tom and I went into London to the Institute of Engineering and Technology at Savoy Place this afternoon for the presentation ceremony to the winners of Arkwright scholarships. I’m so pleased that he has been given this opportunity. However I was rather shocked to see in the brochure that the proportion of private school pupils that received the scholarship (which consists of financial support for both pupil and school, mentoring and other opportunities) was about 50% and the proportion of girls was negligible. So I hope Tom’s new school (a State school for girls with a handful of boys in the sixth form), now that Tom has joined the school bringing the Arkwright funding with him from his previous school, will do their bit to see that their very bright pupils will in future be put forward for this scholarship.
Gosh I’m getting dull.
Sorry to bore you all, this post is more of a post-it note to myself to remind me to speak to Tom’s school.

2 Comments:

Blogger Judith said...

Not dull, Julie - or maybe dull but necessary. If millions of mums (and dads) didn't worry constantly about the education offered to their and all our children, and whether our's are getting their fare share, there might be no-one shoving things in the right direction.

11/02/2008 12:44 PM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

I sent the e-mail off to the school today, Judith - I hope they take note!

11/03/2008 10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home