Thursday, July 31, 2008

Woo-hoo

elainewithslipperssmall
I had to go to the private view of the St Albans Arts Summer Exhibition this evening on my own as everyone else had other commitments. The plan was to get there when it started at seven to have plenty of time to look round the exhibits. Anyway after an hour of frustratedly searching for my car keys (after Flo assured me she would always put them on the hook) I gave up and accepted a lift from my kind neighbour only to receive a phonecall from Flo as we had gone a little way down the road – the keys were in her bedroom!
So I arrived late and flustered and wondering if there’d be any time to look at all the work. As I walked in I recognised another neighbour who rushed over to me and congratulated me. I wasn’t quite sure what for but I smiled appreciatively. The work was of such a high standard, it really was quite amazing. I have to confess that I only ever joined the art society for the figure drawing sessions and I probably assumed that the kind of work that a regional art society would display would be amateurish and fuddy-duddy. But it’s nonsense, there are some really talented people beavering away and the work was of an extremely high standard. Anyway after wandering around for a bit what did I see but a red spot on my framed picture ‘Nude with slippers’ and a little sign next to it saying that it was commended! So what a thrilling end to the day and now I know what the congratulations were for.
The beneficiaries of this (my gallery owners) have no idea as one is having a night out on the tiles in St Albans and the other arrived in Norway today and I imagine is having a night out on the tiles with all the other crew members on the tall ships race.

7 Comments:

Blogger Hashi said...

And very well deserved too.
Congratulations!

7/31/2008 11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! Very deserving! Will this painting now remain with your family or are your gallery owners thrilled that it now has an award and can be the the star of their sale?

8/01/2008 12:08 PM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Thank you Hashi and Shirley. Shirley that little red dot meant that someone had bought it. Very gratifying and the money will go into the gallery owners' account.

8/01/2008 11:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations from Tennessee, US!

8/02/2008 5:55 AM  
Blogger Making A Mark said...

Congratulations Julie.

I wonder why paintings get red dots and a little card and dogs and cats and horses get blooming great big rosettes when they win a prize?

8/02/2008 8:38 AM  
Blogger Claudia said...

Congratulations, Julie ...and congratulations for the award I would like to pass on to you! Please, visit my blog,
kind regards from
Claudia

8/02/2008 12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! It is a wonderful piece.

11/10/2008 6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home