Monday, March 10, 2008

Sketching at the old paper mill

studiosmall
studioclose-up
This is a pretty big illustration by my standards (30 x 22 inches) so I’ve included a close-up of part of it. The venue for the monthly life drawing session is a very interesting place.
This is the old John Dickinson paper mill, a notable place in the history of papermaking. It was here that the Fourdrinier brothers developed a continuous paper making machine to make the huge rolls of paper needed for web offset litho.

And it was here that the John Dickinson company made Basildon Bond stationery – which was the staple letter-writing material of my childhood. They still make paper here but it’s now a working museum which is being developed into an educational and community resource.

Pencil and watercolour on imperial sheet of handmade watercolour paper.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

Oh, this is so wonderful - cheerful and fun. I loved Basildon Bond - the sound as it rolls off the tongue and the delicious smoothness of the paper with the lined sheet to put behind. sometimes I 'borrowed' my mother's pad if there wasn't much left!

3/11/2008 11:32 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

What a fun drawing looking at the intensive artists. What if.... the model was clothed and the art students were naked?
I think I told the story once time about a friend of mine, size 26, who occasionally works as a life model.Her first time....during the breaks she wandered around the room naked looking at the pictures. When she told me later I said, the protocol is to put on a gown at least!
w.

3/12/2008 7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home