Friday, March 14, 2008

Learning to ride a bike

oil
This was my first attempt at painting with real oil paint. I don’t really know what to make of it as a medium. I didn’t use any good paintbrushes as the only good ones I have are watercolour brushes, so slapping the paint on with the children’s brushes might have made the experience less satisfactory. But I found the whole thing of working with paint that had the texture of butter and which would definitely ruin my floor/clothes/desk if I dropped the tiniest bit all a bit tiresome. And then how long is it going to take before the damn thing dries? With watercolour paintings I can put everything away when I’ve finished but now I’m stuck with an easel up in my office until the painting chooses to be touch dry. The jury is out as to whether I’m going to attempt this medium again.
40cm x 30cm oil paint on canvas board

7 Comments:

Blogger Tom Oakley said...

Completely off-topic, but you need to see this cool graphic designer's website:

http://www.chaffagraffix.co.uk/index.html

3/14/2008 8:27 PM  
Blogger Tami said...

Oh, Julie! I hate to see you toss this medium into a drawer, this has so much LIFE to it! Great job with the lighting! It is a pain in the neck waiting for the stuff to dry though!

3/14/2008 10:53 PM  
Blogger annie said...

I can understand how frustrating that
oil medium must be and I doubt that I
could hack it, but the picture is
gorgeous, Julie. One day when you
might want to make a big change you'll know that you already have the
grasp of oil if you should want to try it again.

3/14/2008 11:01 PM  
Blogger Claudia said...

A very good painting, Julie!

3/14/2008 11:02 PM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

With my specs off (as usual at the computer) I thought it was a photo, then I looked again. You are okay with that kid's paintbrush, but yeah, oil paints ain't my cup of tea either. Too slow to dry and the linseed or something made my skin itchy.
w.
Re riding a bike. We did have fun when our granddaughter was learning to ride a bike.

3/15/2008 1:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a tender image! There's an entire story in just this one painting. I would say the same thing about the spelling homework sketch. - Barbara

3/20/2008 6:23 AM  
Blogger Making A Mark said...

Well all I can say is you chose the right subject if this is to be your only oil painting!

I have noticed that people who use oil paints do seem to have a n awful lot of thin shelves holding work which is drying.........

At my end I keep trying to factor in two cats - and their paws and talent for knocking things over.........

3/22/2008 11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home