Monday, December 03, 2007

Portrait party at Shulay’s

shulay
Portrait by Shulay
I was away for the weekend again. This time visiting my dear friend Shulay. I’m getting more and more enthused about portrait swaps since participating in Rama Hughes' excellent portrait party blog. Believe it or not, Shulay hasn’t picked up a pencil for 23 years so a pretty amazing drawing don’t you think? Before we started we set out the only ground rule – neither of us was going to be distracted by trying to flatter the other. It is the great minefield of portraiture – the worry of upsetting the sitter. So it was a great relief to draw in the same way as I draw my family – just concerning myself with trying to do the best I could without having to think about bruising an ego. I look forward to doing more portraits of Shulay – she has such an interesting face and long lean limbs and hands – none of which I did justice to this time. And I hope Shulay doesn’t leave it so long before she picks up a pencil again.
Shulay by Julie 210mm x 285mm pen and watercolour
Julie by Shulay 270mm x 300mm pencil

4 Comments:

Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

You could come up with a double portrait by putting the two together like that puzzle picture - I'm drawing you, you drawing me - that hands pic.
w.

12/03/2007 2:55 AM  
Blogger Anita Davies said...

They are both wonderful Julie! BRAVO!!!

12/03/2007 11:54 PM  
Blogger rama hughes said...

thanks AS ALWAYS for sharing your swaps, julie. they're up now! (and swap with robin went off to Artist's Magazine a few minutes ago!)

12/04/2007 12:55 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

Great portraits! I really love your line work -- and your friend is quite good, too.

12/04/2007 3:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home