Thursday, November 15, 2007

Mummy was a person once.

mummy_was_a_person_once
I’ve been sorting out the contents of an old planchest (because we cannot afford to keep on hiring a garage to store stuff we haven’t looked at for seven years!). Anyway I found this old polaroid of me – almost faded to white so I’ve used some Photoshop trickery to bring back some colour. I like all the scuffs and fingerprints so I’ve kept those. My darling son Tom said ‘When I look at all this stuff it makes me realise that you were a person once’. I know what he means. I am so subsumed in what I am to other people, it can be difficult to be me. Anyway a lot of my future posts will be scans of old work that will just have to have a virtual existence from now on.

Digitally re-touched old faded polaroid

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful portrait, Julie! And I know just what you mean, I was looking through an old album not too long ago and wondered for just a split second who that girl with the long dark hair was...

I love your present direction; we ARE who we were, in our work as well. Your teakettle is beautiful...

11/16/2007 1:40 PM  
Blogger vivien said...

weren't you just glamorous!

it's interesting looking through old photos and work after a long gap of time like that.

11/16/2007 2:45 PM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Cathy, Jess and Vivien if only we had some inkling when we were young how lovely we would appear to our older selves. All that unnecessary angst!

11/16/2007 8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely photo, Julie, and the thumbprints and patina make it better. I often wish that I could send my Ghost of the Future back to myself as a student and tell her that she really is all she needs to be for that time and stage of her life, and just to keep working and exploring along Her Path.
Annie

11/18/2007 1:32 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Gorgeous photo and apparently a gorgeous girl too! Good you have kept it.
w.

11/18/2007 8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home