Sunday, November 18, 2007

Glynn Boyd Harte in 1978

glynn boyd harte in1977

I was delighted to come across this picture as I sorted out my old artwork. Now I know this isn’t a very good drawing, but bear with me. That day the model failed to turn up for the life drawing session, so our tutor Glynn posed until she did. He was renowned for being a bit of a dandy and would often wear extraordinary items of dress such as spats. I love the work he produced – gorgeous lithographs, coloured pencil work and watercolours. He was a very talented, prodigious and successful artist/illustrator and I’m lucky to own one of his limited edition lithographs which was a generous present from him. Sadly he died far too young in 2003. Earlier in the year (before my holiday) I bought his illustrated book about Venice and take a look at the self portrait on the dust cover flap. It tickled me that it was still the same flamboyant foppish Mr Harte that had taught me.


glynn boyd harte book flap

Glynn was far too much of a fogey to be remotely interested in the Internet so I’m afraid that there are only a few places you can see his work, but if you’re interested look here and here.

3 Comments:

Blogger Penny said...

wer'nt you lucky to have such a tutor.

11/19/2007 5:02 AM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

He was very sweet to us, though teaching really wasn't his forté, so I think he breathed a sigh of relief when he didn't need to teach any more

11/20/2007 12:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do like his prints. He had a very good eye for detail and design didn't he?

11/20/2007 9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home