Sunday, September 16, 2007

Venice studio painting

venicepaintingsmall
I took one photo in Venice of a team of gondoliers practicing for the regatta. However rather than starting a with my favourite photo I thought I’d get the drawing and watercolour muscles exercised with another photo I’d taken. This painting is wrong in so many ways, though I’m glad to have attempted something bigger. I suppose it’s that much easier with plein aire to forgive yourself and move on. Anyway if you’re interested in seeing all the laboured mistakes even larger, have a look here.
520mm x 330mm watercolour on Winsor & Newton watercolour paper

5 Comments:

Blogger Robyn Sinclair said...

You might see what's wrong with it but I'm totally charmed. It's Venice in a summer holiday mood, the water is gorgeous, the buildings a triumph.

9/16/2007 9:25 PM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

It looks bright and cheerful.I thought Venice would be dark with deteriorating buildings falling into the sea so this is a surprise. Of course it's nicely painted too.
w.

9/17/2007 1:40 AM  
Blogger Hashi said...

Awesome!

9/18/2007 2:09 PM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Thank you Robyn – I think it's using photographic reference which is unsatisfying.
Wendy the mood when I was there was very cheerful – all that sunshine. I think it would be very beautiful in a more sombre way in the winter.
Thanks Hashi

9/19/2007 10:31 AM  
Blogger Penny said...

well all I can say is that I cant draw straight lines so it doesnt worry me at all, Infact I love it.

9/20/2007 9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home