Wednesday, August 22, 2007

View from the Edinburgh hotel roof-garden

rtedin
lftedin
edinburghview
I’ve been back from my break a couple of days now. It was absolutely wonderful and absolutely exhausting. Two such beautiful contrasting cities – Edinburgh and Venice, but both demanding a helluva lot of walking – up and down hills in Edinburgh and up and over bridges in Venice. I felt like the glamorous cultured people you see on television – the Edinburgh festival at the beginning of the week and the Venice Biennale at the end of the week.
I had no idea that Edinburgh was so gorgeous – and it was such fun to be there at festival time. Venice was just out of this world. I went at the worst time you could go – hot and crowded with tourists – but it was still a feast for the eyes.
I wasn’t able to draw as much as I would have liked, but I would much rather have had my impatient daughter tutting at me every time I whipped out my sketchbook, than to have been deprived of her company. So a very memorable week. More pictures to come.
I tried to frame the view so that the composition of each page worked independently, in case I didn’t have time to finish it off.

Pen and watercolour in sketch book.

8 Comments:

Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Wow! Are their ghosties in that small dark building? What fun to explore Edinburgh and then go to Venice! You lucky duck. Oz is so far away and I am too claustrophobic to go on a plane for such a long time - I'll never get to Venice. Isa.
w.

8/23/2007 12:56 AM  
Blogger Penny said...

Wow I am glad you are home, is this really what Edinburgh looks like? All those trees?
I am looking foreward to your other paintings with impatience.

8/23/2007 8:56 AM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Wendy I do feel lucky – England is so close to so many very different places.
Penny, Edinburgh is small and hilly with lots of parks.I was surprised to be able to see dramatic gorse covered hills and the sea from the city centre

8/23/2007 9:20 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

Beautiful watercolours... If I am not wrong, your hotel mustn's have been very far the East End of Princes Street because I can see Carlton Hill and The Stewart Dugald Memorial.

I have missed the Festival for the first time in years!!! Too busy.

8/23/2007 9:51 AM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Actually I'm viewing the monument from the other side, the hotel (the Glasshouse) was on Leith street - and an incredible luxurious treat courtesy of my best friend.

8/23/2007 10:20 AM  
Blogger Brenda Yarborough said...

These are GORGEOUS!! I am in awe of your greens -- a challenging color for me to mix and to get such variety as you have here, very NICE!! How lovely both places must've been.

8/24/2007 2:36 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

Marvellous greens.

8/24/2007 1:59 PM  
Anonymous Javis Monzalton said...

What a gorgeous picture! You made this on the roof of the hotel you were staying in? The scenery during that day must have been pretty breath taking to help create something like this.

2/08/2012 9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home