Thursday, August 09, 2007

Men on the train

manontrain
secondmanontrain
The reason I haven’t been scanning and posting regularly recently is that I’ve been busy finishing off work before my holiday and getting ready for a presentation in London. These sketches were done on the train there and back. One of the questions I was asked (in the presentation) was ‘How do you keep yourself creatively fresh?’ and the answer I gave – without needing to take a moment to think about it – was, blogging. Yes, I truly believe the wonderful Innernet has given all of us solitary home-based graphic designers a wonderful way of showing and sharing our ideas, sketches and drawings which keeps us excited and interested.
Pencil sketches in small moleskine

7 Comments:

Blogger Karen Sandstrom said...

Julie - this post and Rufus in the grass are terrific. You could do a poster out of Rufus in the grass. It's absolutely perfect.

8/11/2007 1:19 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Sharing is scary too at times. What if they think I am foolish, over the top, self-absorbed, yet we continue to blog our good, better, best, or not picturial efforts! Of course yours are consistently good!
w.

8/11/2007 3:21 AM  
Blogger Felicity Grace said...

Interesting! I find reading other art blogs very inspiring too - seeing artists doing things I never dreamed of helps stretch me more too. Seeing these sketches and having done some myself I also realise how difficult it is - that guy at the bottom looks like he could just look over at any moment!!

8/12/2007 12:55 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

These have great sense of presence and individuality.

8/12/2007 1:32 PM  
Blogger Tami said...

I LOVE these! The men have so much character in their faces! The first gentleman, reading is exceptional!

8/12/2007 3:58 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

I love the fellow with his tongue at an odd angle/place something. I agree with Wendy that sometimes we inadvertantly reveal too much, but the sketching is almost a drug, cant stop even if they arnt as good as one would like!

8/13/2007 6:24 AM  
Blogger Making A Mark said...

Very good point Julie - I've found that blogging has made me much more creative. We all do it differently but I'm sure that blog most frequently probably agree with you.

I love the pic of Rufus in the preceding post and I think your chaps might travel on the same trains as me! Or are they just a metaphor for middle aged manhood. You could do a series with cute ironic titles and then sell them to an upmarket broadsheet - there you go - I've had another diea just because I visited your blog!!!

8/20/2007 12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home