Friday, August 24, 2007

The front of the Glasshouse and the curse of the artist’s pen

glasshouse
This is the front of the gobsmackingly gorgeous hotel we stayed at in Edinburgh. You can catch a glimpse of our delightful doorman, William, in his very undoorman-like outfit of black fedora and dark double breasted pin-striped suit. The routine when we were in Edinburgh was to breakfast at Valvona and Crolla and then hit the town, soaking up the atmosphere, seeing the shows we had pre-booked or booking more tickets to slot into the gaps. Obviously with so many shows on you can only scratch the surface – even if you were there for the duration of the show.
I am still completely exhausted after our time away, so finding it difficult to catch up with scans and posts, nevertheless I set out this first summer-like evening to take Rufus for a walk and to see the devastation of the Hill End farm barn pictured below (which went up in flames while we were away). This post
on my One Mile blog explains what I mean by the curse of the artist’s pen. The barn looked rather attractive, so it’s sad that it’s gone, but fortunately no people were hurt in the fire – just the sets from the TV programme Top Gear, which were being stored there.
Pen and watercolour in sketchbook

4 Comments:

Blogger brian nelson said...

Great job! Looks like an awesome place!

8/25/2007 12:02 AM  
Blogger Molly said...

I've just stumbled upon your blog and it is lovely... I look forward to exploring!

- Molly

8/25/2007 4:58 AM  
Blogger Penny said...

What else will you curse Julie? The hotel looks awesome.

8/25/2007 8:33 AM  
Blogger Felicity Grace said...

My goodness that hotel looks fab - I wasn't expecting that when I clicked on the link! I love Edinburgh too although I haven't explored all of it, it has a great atmosphere. Lucky you! I'm looking forward to seeing more, but I do agree, it's better to get on and experience it if sketching is taking time out from family and fun.

8/25/2007 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home