Friday, July 13, 2007

Xavier with flowers and last day at Busy Bees

xavierandflowers
Today was Xavier’s last day at Busy Bees morning nursery. I’m not normally sentimental about children moving onto the next stage. My usual heartless reaction is delight that they’ll be spending more hours at school and that I’ll be able to fit the day job into those hours without paying too much for childcare. However I did feel close to tears when I picked him up. The staff have been so wonderful over the past two years – I shall so miss their welcoming faces in the mornings. I was given a lovely book, recording Xavier’s last two years – full of observations about his development and photos of his days at the nursery. I shall treasure it forever.

By the way I’m sorry I haven’t been replying to comments. I’ve been feeling really under the weather for some time and can only just about manage my quick sketch a day. Anyway hopefully I’ll be feeling better soon.

295mm x 210mm pen and ink

7 Comments:

Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Oh the mothering hen instinct - leaving for the next stage - whether it is pre-school, primary school, secondary, or later - your eldest off to uni, leaving for overseas - every time someone goes to Fiji. It's the same - that sense of loss. Hope you are feeling better. Think of that tropical island where you lived as a child - to blow away the cobwebs.
w.

7/14/2007 3:09 AM  
Blogger Tami said...

I'm with you, most of the time I don't get hung up on being overly mushy however, there were times and people that were particular to a time that got to me...I hope you're feeling better soon!

7/14/2007 3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you, Julie. Our daughter's first day of school (35 years ago) left both of us in tears on our farm.
We had to go take a nap for comfort.
What is the next stage for Xavier, now, in the UK?
Annie

7/15/2007 2:38 PM  
Blogger mARTa said...

Through your sketches I have come to know your family and an cheering Xavier on "you go big boy!" but as a mom...I remember these milestones too and know how you feel.....also...hope you get to feeling better soon!

7/16/2007 5:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. (my computer finally is cooperating and I don't have to use "anonymous" any longer).

I meant to ask, what is the next step for Xavier, now, in the UK?

7/16/2007 4:03 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

Hope you are feeling better, Lovely sketch to commemorate his last day ad next step

7/18/2007 8:16 AM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

His next step is primary school – starting in September, Annie

7/18/2007 8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home