Thursday, June 14, 2007

A wonderful day out with Katherine Tyrrell

Up early for a great day out with blogger Katherine Tyrrell of Making a Mark and Travels with Sketchbook...

I took two sketchbooks, my tiny green Cornellison’s cartridge sketch book (about A6) and my landscape A5 Roberson’s watercolour sketchbook
First sketch, in the smaller book – commuters on the train from St Albans to London.

2commuters
I arrived at the National Portrait Gallery in plenty of time. Unfortunately/fortunately it’s necessary to walk past the Charing Cross Road Cass Arts, so for anyone interested there were some terrific bargains on artist quality Winsor & Newton watercolour sets (much better than the offers on their website).
Katherine and I met up in the gallery shop and set off to Gerrard Street to sketch before lunch.
These two watercolours were painted in my watercolour sketchbook.

orientaldelight
After sketching we walked back to a delicious meal and great conversation in the Portrait Gallery restaurant. The view from the restaurant is terrific, I shall definitely be back even if it’s only to linger over a cup of coffee.
Then we went to the BP portrait exhibition. I think this may have been the first time I’ve been to this prestigious annual exhibition. I was surprised at the number of pieces exhibited. I somehow imagined that there would be a greater number. I was also surprised at the number of photorealist pieces, but then I only get my art in snatches – with huge gaps between exhibitions so I haven’t the foggiest about the latest trends in art.
After seeing the exhibition and exploring other bits of the gallery, we went on to a wine bar where I drew Katherine. Her head was in one of two positions, either focusing intently on the scene behind me, or looking down at her sketchbook, and her hands were moving so fast I didn’t attempt to draw them.
katherine
After knocking back far more wine than my decrepit old body can now cope with, I set off back to St Albans. And my last drawing of the day is a composite of several quickies I captured on the tube and train journey home.
tubepeoplecomp2

Do go over to Katherine’s blog to see her version of the day.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful, Julie. So glad that you and Katherine got together. Really "Double The Pleasure and Double The Fun." I hope that the two of you keep meeting and doing these Sketchcrawls, together. It's interesting to see the different takes that each artist has
and the different way each expresses the scene.
Annie

6/15/2007 1:01 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Sketchcrawl with another artist - what a great day and you got so much done! Now, I'll check out the other half of the scetchcrawl!
w.

6/15/2007 2:14 AM  
Blogger Jo Castillo said...

Lovely for you to share your day with us. I hadn't looked at your portraits for a while. You are doing so well with the project.
Thanks,
Jo

6/15/2007 4:16 AM  
Blogger mARTa said...

What a treat to visit your blog! I will be in London next October for 5 days and hope, no I mean will be doing a lot of sketching! I might check out the art store and maybe a coffee at the portrait gallery resturant too! Your sketches are lovely!

6/15/2007 5:21 AM  
Blogger Making A Mark said...

Julie - thanks for the lovely day out. I was 'very tired' the next day! Mind you we had been on the go for 10 hours and I'm a bit the same as you - I can't take wine without food in quite the same way as I used to. Lovely sketches of the people on the train going home - I think i;d have been tempted to snooze!

6/15/2007 7:03 AM  
Blogger vivien said...

great sketches :) and it sounds like a fantastic day


I'm envious!

6/16/2007 4:22 PM  
Blogger Jana Bouc said...

I love seeing your paintings of your day together and your sketches of each other! What fun. Your watercolors are just wonderful--so brilliant and glowing. I also really like the composite drawing of the folks on the subway.

6/17/2007 10:17 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

Wonderful record of what was obviously a great day. How lovely to have someone to sketch with. Now to look at Katherine's.

6/19/2007 1:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home