Tuesday, October 24, 2006

London day out

londonday
Xavier and I went into London to buy Tom’s birthday present. We also visited the National Portrait Gallery. Although I would have dearly liked to have seen it, there was no point in spending money on the Hockney exhibition as a toddler tantrum could have made the visit very short-lived. We did however have fun looking at some of the (free) permanent exhibition. The Tudor gallery is one of my favourites – amazing to look at paintings that are 500 years old and still look wonderful. Xavier enjoyed rushing from gallery to gallery pointing out things to me – one of my favourites ‘Look Mummy, flying babies’. We also took a few minutes to participate in a
Big Draw activity – contributing a drawing to
make a large-scale alternative version of the Beatles' 'Sargent Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band' album cover using drawing of historical sitters from the collections.
I cheated here as Xavier wanted me to draw him – not Queen Victoria. Anyway maybe whoever pastes the drawing in will think it’s one of those flying babies.
The simplest things in London can entertain a three year old, so we then looked at the fountains and lions in Trafalgar Square, had lunch at the nearby Spaghetti House and caught a red bus back to the train station. All of which, were enormous fun for Xavier. As I put him to bed I asked him what was the best thing about today – he told me it was the vanilla ice cream he had for pudding.

6 Comments:

Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Flying babies!
What a lovely day you had, and I loved your little kid's response to - what was the best thing - an icecream. I know that kids sometimes would rather play with the box than with a toy. This challenges our values doesn't it?
W.
Our granddaughter has returned to Fiji now and it is quiet without her incessant chatter in Fijian or in English.

10/24/2006 10:30 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

Oh Julie I love the flying babies! After all that is what they are. So long since I was in London, 1971 I think! John refused to go last time we were in the UK, and that was in 1999. He looks like a happy flying baby.

10/25/2006 9:59 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

Lovely post :)

10/30/2006 9:19 AM  
Blogger Making A Mark said...

My goodness Julie - a say later and you would have bumped into Shirley and me! Except we were taking a very leisurely walk around the Hockney exhibition! I do love the Tudor Gallery as well.

10/31/2006 12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julie, this is a late entry but I wanted you to know how much you and Xavier lift out hearts. Since moving back to Texas I talk a lot to friends and family on the phone, and I had to tell my friend Charlotte about Xavier's Flying Babies, last week. Today (11-4-), she phoned me and said that the Flying Babies had been flying all over Connecticut.She's been telling everyone. Charlotte volunteers at the local nursing home, and she said the the Grandmas and Granddad's there were delighted with the Flying Babies and she wanted to thank you for sharing the story with us.
Annie

11/05/2006 1:53 AM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Wow - I'm delighted you all enjoyed the flying babies story.
I'll have to do a weekly Xavier quotation:)

Annie - Xavier will be amazed when he's older when I tell him that with the wonders of the internet he was able to entertain Grandmas and Grandads in far distant Connecticut.

Katherine I thought of that when I read your post - though our visit was less intellectually focused I think than yours.

11/05/2006 11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home