Saturday, October 07, 2006

It’s worth queuing

yuklunchcrop
If these people look miserable they probably have reason to. I was frozen after drawing outside so decided to treat myself to coffee and a bite to eat. Both Carluccio’s and Wagamama’s nearby, had long queues so I thought I’d try this place – which will remain nameless. I ordered a warm chicken salad. They must have employed a poet to write the menu, because it sounded tempting. However the salad consisted of very wet, flavourless iceberg salad, tomato and cucumber, some cubes of toast (that I think were supposed to be croutons) and some warm wet vinegary pieces of foam rubber (which by a process of elimination must have been the chicken). The whole thing was splattered with Heinz salad cream – the last time I was given that condiment was in the early seventies by an aunt who thought that garlic was the work of the devil. And it cost me just as much as a far better meal at the other two restaurants.Well I suppose it’s good to know despite the dramatic improvement in culinary standards here in the UK we still have a few traditional bastions of dire English food to entertain the tourists.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jana Bouc said...

Wonderful drawing and washes. Sounds like my dining experience last night, with seafood linguine that tasted only of salt and my dining partner's grilled salmon that tasted only of grill (charcoal). It was freezing in there and so noisy we couldn't hear each other. The place was filled with people but why?

10/08/2006 6:55 PM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

I'm not game to draw people in a cafe but you do get an assortment of interestly shaped people! Yesterday we had a quick lunch at the Comm de Feine a cheap pub where a large oldfashioned meal costs about $6 - roast for Peceli, chicken parmigiano (?) for me. The dining room was full of people of all shapes and sizes but I didn't dare draw them!
I liked the simplicity in your drawing with line and just one colour.
w.

10/10/2006 1:23 AM  
Blogger Cin said...

love the composition, sketchiness of your lines, too bad about the horrid meal, at least you got this nice sketch out of it

10/16/2006 3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your sense of irony. And your drawings, too.

10/18/2006 8:42 PM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Hello everyone. Reading your comments, it makes me think that at least with horrible dining experiences you can linger over the drawing rather than the food!

10/18/2006 10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home