Saturday, April 01, 2006

Hugo after sea cadets


Hugo is off to Weymouth this week with Tom, learning canoeing and sailing.
Apropos of today, the kids reminded me of the April Fool’s day trick I played on them a few years ago. We had booked our annual summer holiday in January, our first Greek flotilla sailing holiday. We were so looking forward to it. When the kids arrived home from school I told them I’d received all the holiday details, but unfortunately hadn’t realised we’d booked the naturist fortnight. We’d paid a big unreturnable deposit, and it was too late to book another holiday so I said we would just have to accept the conditions with as good a grace as possible! Any of you who know the desperate need for privacy that takes over children as they enter their teens will be able to imagine the shrieks of horror for the few minutes I managed to convince them! Have fun, try it on your own teenagers!

6 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

That has to be one of the funniest April Fools jokes I've ever heard of. Hilarious!

4/01/2006 8:15 PM  
Blogger starrgirl's world said...

Your drawings are so flowing and marvelous!! And what a sense of humor you have!! I can't wait to see more!

4/02/2006 3:42 AM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Linda I'm so glad you enjoyed it, and thanks very much starrgirl.

4/02/2006 11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey we're having fun at weymouth and there is 3 scottish people - thanks for all the chocolate!
By the way people, that was not funny it could have permanently damaged me emotionally!

4/02/2006 10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is hilarious, Julie! Mine are out of their teens (early 20's) but I assure you, they'd be shrieking, too. I really love your family drawings. What a gift to them and to us, your viewers.

4/02/2006 10:55 PM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Hope the chocolate isn't making you seasick tom. Look at the post above for hints on what to look out for on the beach.

Laura - I'm so glad you like them. You know it was the fact that I'd spent so long missing out on drawing them that brought me back to personal art, and I'm so glad I've done so before it's too late and they've grown up and flown the nest.

4/03/2006 10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home