Tuesday, April 25, 2006

The Challenge

As my blog approaches its first birthday I’m ready for new challenges. Over the last year I’ve found blogging wonderful as a motivator to be creative. However there’s a bit of a problem with it – there’s an awful lot of sitting – which leads to that syndrome – blogger’s bum. I’ve discovered that I’m the perfect weight – however only for someone 6' 3" tall. So as growing taller doesn’t seem to be an option I’m going to have to do something about the horizontal measurement instead.

Weight loss, exercise and dieting are all so unutterably boring that I’ve decided to approach the problem laterally with an art challenge.

So this is my challenge.

Walk a minimum of one mile from home. Record where you’ve been with a drawing, sculpture, photo or painting and then walk back. Every day for a year.
A mile may seem pitifully short but I chose a distance that would be bearable in the freezing cold or pouring rain and in any case it’s only a minimum distance.

I’m setting up a new blog just for this challenge. If any one is interested in joining me I’ll add you to the ‘One mile from home’ blogroll.

So at the end of the year I’ll have 365 pieces of art, I’ll have explored where I live in an environmentally friendly way and as a bonus I might be nearer the right weight for a less Amazonian woman!

5 Comments:

Blogger Cream said...

Julie, you are painting and sketching like mad! And this new challenge! Sounds amazing!

4/26/2006 10:52 AM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

I am. Lets just hope my ploy for tricking my body into getting fitter whilst it thinks it's pursuing artistic endeavours, works.

4/26/2006 1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julie, this is a wonderful idea! If I weren't so busy coping with my own challenges, I'd join you!

4/26/2006 8:26 PM  
Blogger Making A Mark said...

You're a dangerous woman! How did you know about my rear end? I could just be joining you - maybe less than one a day?

5/01/2006 1:02 PM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Laura, your year start challenges are an inspiration to all of us.
Katherine do whatever commitment you can cope with. I think if you make the commitment to whatever you can manage then that will keep you going.

5/01/2006 7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home