Sunday, March 12, 2006

Drawing - how to make waiting time enjoyable



As a young art student, I was hopeless at keeping up a sketchbook. The cost of the book intimidated me – I felt as though every page had to be perfect. Also when I did try, it was complicated because I felt as though I had to carry around all sorts of bulky media for every eventuality. But at last I’ve cracked the problem. I just keep a tiny book in my handbag at all times, together with a pen, brush pen or pencil. I accept that many pages won’t be perfect and that the available subject matter – as in this case – might not be all that preposessing, but it’s so fulfilling to have something to absorb you so completely at these times. I have a friend that carries her knitting with her everywhere and I’m sure it must be the same for her.

5 Comments:

Blogger Cream said...

Julie, you've got such discipline! I have no patience! Love your nudes!

3/12/2006 10:54 AM  
Blogger Cin said...

know what you mean, am finding it so fun and now regret very much that I haven't kept one until recently.

like this entry very much, lovely sketchiness and spots of color

3/13/2006 4:13 AM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Back from sunnier climes I see cream. Not really disciplined or patient, rather an opportunistic way to be patient. I was standing, waiting to be picked up by Robin after a big fruit and veg shop at the market. Lack of communication meant that Robin was waiting in the car for me in another road. I was competely calm when we eventually found each other whereas non-drawing Robin was less than pleased.

Cin, I think better late than never. Maybe discovering these things later on is some kind of compensatory gift to make up for getting older.BTW the colour was added in Photoshop later with this one .

3/13/2006 10:14 AM  
Blogger Endment said...

This is very encouraging. I keep getting intimidated by my sketchbook, my friend and I even played an artistic tic tac toe to try to get it broken in. thanks for the great idea

3/13/2006 8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful color. I carry my whole bag down to the cafeteria with me at lunch. I generally save coloring for later at home either in the book or in Photoshop after I've scanned it in. A fresh blank book is always intimidating. But when the book starts to take on some character, it feels like an old friend.

3/14/2006 12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home