Sunday, January 01, 2006

Favourite tool(s)



This is a quick drawing of some of my favourite tools, but also to remember a wonderful typography class I had at college from a visiting lecturer whose name I’ve forgotten, (I wish I could remember – he taught at the LCP in the late ’70s). He held up each of these three tools in turn and explained that typographers are craftsmen – as he held up the craft knife, are artists – as he held up the pencil and work with the precision of surgeons – as he held up the scalpel. I believe he repeated this demonstration many times to different students, and I bet most of them, like me, remember it. I can’t imagine how this class would translate to computers, software etc.

1 Comments:

Blogger Caroline said...

Nice drawings of those tools... I was just wondering about starting up a tag along the lines of what's your favourite tool? Looks like you got yours in before I even posted it!

1/02/2006 9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home