Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Bruges sketch


When we were in Bruges last month I found this place very beautiful.
A ‘Begijnhof’ or Béguinage comprises a courtyard or green surrounded by small dwellings. It is often encircled by a wall and secluded from the town proper by one or two gates. In Bruges you cross a bridge to enter the gate of the Béguinage so it feels as though it is on an island. The béguines were single women that lived communally supporting each other and doing good works, similar to nuns but allowed to marry and leave the Béguinage. The movement was started due to a surplus of women occasioned by violence, war, military and semi-military operations, which took the lives of many men.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the shadows - it looks like late afternoon.

I also love your Warhol take on Father Christmas

12/14/2005 5:50 AM  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

julie this is simply beautiful! I enjoyed reading this too.

12/14/2005 6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great capture of the atmosphere in Brugge. Every single line is on its right place!

12/14/2005 8:34 AM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Rachel - this time I remembered what the low winter sun does to shadows.
Valgalart - I was really interested to find out about these communities - which I hadn't heard of until last month
Isabel (as the mistress of the perfect line) I really appreciate your comment - Thank you.

12/14/2005 9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home