Sunday, October 30, 2005

My father's ears and nurture versus nature


Look at that lovely big leathery ear. My brother as a toddler loved to suck his thumb and hold on to one of those ears. In the absence of one of those ears he would settle for holding on to one of his own. Now for anyone who doubts how much you can inherit from a parent, imagine my astonishment when my brother’s second son – without any prompting from anyone – liked to suck his thumb and hold on to his father’s ear. Who
’d have thought there was a gene for thumb-sucking and ear-holding?

As my Dad was visiting for lunch today, I thought I'd draw him and catch up with the EDM challenge of ‘Draw something Dad
’.

8 Comments:

Blogger Caroline said...

I love the sketch and the story.

My father could wiggle his ears but none of us has ever managed to learn how... maybe we didn't get the ear wiggle gene.

10/30/2005 8:17 PM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

I bet there is an ear-wiggle gene and no amount of practice is going to make you do it if you're born without the gene. It must've been great to show him off to your friends.

My mother can touch the tip of her nose with her tongue - not quite as impressive but still a good trick.

10/30/2005 8:54 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

A mother touching her nose with her tongue seems impressive to me!

I just asked Jim if he could touch his nose with his tongue - he said no, but he could touch mine... I ran away...

10/30/2005 10:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great sketch - looks like Dad needs a haircut!

Rachel

10/31/2005 3:14 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

Great picture and I love the story that goes along with it.

10/31/2005 11:40 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

Rachel must be a hairdresser!
Your dad seems to be saying: "I wonder where she learnt how to make Yorkshire puds! I could have had a couple more!"

10/31/2005 2:23 PM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Thank you Linda.

Cream - I'm too damn tired to cope with anything as onerous as Yorkshire puds and all the rest of it. My husband refuses to be my sous chef because he says I'm too fussy so I have to do it all. Any recipe that can be done well before anyone arrives is usually snatched up in this household. I did Chicken Cacciatore the night before and tarted up some day old chocolate birthday cake for pudding. The trouble is that I have an undeserved reputation as a good cook to live up to which piles on the pressure.

11/01/2005 12:00 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

Used to serve Chicken Cacciatore a long time ago. Very popular it was.

Believe me, Julie, reputation as a good cook is one thing you don't acquire by bullshitting people and once you have it, there is no way of relaxing!

11/02/2005 12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home