Friday, October 28, 2005

BCF 13 - Tom and Julie


To pass the time on the train, Tom and I took turns to do blind contour drawings of each other. First off I drew Tom. I don't know whether he was trying to get back at me for his nose falling off his face but you’ll see that in his first drawing of me I sport a luxuriant moustache and am completely bald. My second go was a bit better. Tom has a nice strong manly jaw even if it’s only on one side. He doesn't however have teenage acne yet, the spots are down to the Sharpie pen ink bleeding through from page to page. Tom I think appreciated the more flattering portrait and so was a bit kinder to me by giving me some hair in the final drawing.

10 Comments:

Blogger Laureline said...

These are really wonderful, Julie! I'll bet that was one of your most enjoyable trips to London.

10/28/2005 4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe, nice! I really enjoy bc portraits, and it seems you've had some kind of BC Duel. Nice to see the different attempts too.

10/28/2005 9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

these rule. i love doing portraits, especially to pass time. i bet you two laughed a lot. sigh. does my heart good.

10/29/2005 9:24 AM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Thank you laura and niff - it was fun and the other passengers seemed to like it.
Donna I think that's a perfect description - a BC duel!

10/29/2005 8:29 PM  
Blogger Cin said...

these are such fun! and love the way you've designed them together, a bit like photo booth strips each frame a different funny face (or mug shots!)

10/30/2005 1:02 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

I love the commentary you've done to go with these!

10/30/2005 1:03 PM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

cin and caroline - my recollection of the few blind contours we did at art college was that it wasn't really a serious drawing challenge - it was just for the fun of it - in between more serious exercises. I am enjoying the weekly challenge of trying to find ways of making my unpromising blind contours somehow have a bit more promise.

10/30/2005 8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the story! It must have been very fun.

10/31/2005 8:22 PM  
Blogger rama hughes said...

may i share these drawings on the portrait party? it's a pet project of mine.

9/22/2007 4:39 PM  
Blogger rama hughes said...

thanks, julie! they're up now. i love your portraits. (and would love to share any other drawings that your family has done.)

9/22/2007 8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home