Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Linkety-links

Dontcha think it’s crass when someone asks to exchange links – not that anyone has asked me. It just seems to me that the etiquette is never to ask. If someone likes your blog enough – and if they feel like it they’ll link. I’d been thinking about sorting out my own links and I was looking at a wonderful professional illustrator’s site. Amongst her zillion comments there were a couple of requests to exchange links. Well, as she had a side bar chock-a-block full of links to other illustrators in the same league as herself I really don’t think she should have been put in the position of ignoring the request or having to turn it down.

Anyway there’s a huge number of blogs I admire and visit regularly that I would like to add to my link list. However my template has such a large type size in the side bar, I really want to change the type to something teeny weeny and sans serif (a bit like the body text here) before I add them all. I’ve tried and tried and tried – and got nowhere, so if there’s a techie lurking out there I’d really appreciate any tips.

By the way if any of you have noticed my lovely little copyright symbol and that I'm starting to use proper dashes, you may like to know that you can can type wonderful things like this: ℑ∪⊥†Ξ′ƒ ρi⊆ϒ∨®∈ξ
by using this helpful little utility here.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was using blogger, I copied the template into frontpage and changed what I wanted there and loaded it back.

I absolutely love your self portrait. You even have the mirror. It's great. Now I'm off to look at your other drawings.

9/17/2005 12:09 AM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Janey thanks for that - I did try something similar - but I think the problem is that I don't know how to override the style just for the links. The other text is all based on the same style. Oh well when I have more time I'll try and crack it again.

9/17/2005 11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julie, thanks for the link! Very useful!
I am not sure if you still need it, but to minimize text on the sidebar here is what you need to do. Go to your template and find the section sidebar content and add font family and font size. The "sidebar li" is for list of links, archive, etc. The "sidebar p" is for your profile.I am not quite sure what the "sidebar ul" is for, but you can experiment.
You can choose a font family of your own preference and size % you like. Here is an example of how it should look when you adjust your template (don't cut and paste it, since I shortened it and only include the "li" and "p" part):
/* Sidebar Content
----------------------*/
#sidebar ul {
....see original template...
}
#sidebar li {
margin:0;
padding:0 0 .25em 15px;
text-indent:-15px;
line-height:1.2em;
font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;
font-size: 84%;
}
#sidebar p {
color:#666;
line-height:1.2em;
font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;
font-size: 84%;
}

Hope this helps. Good luck!

9/18/2005 8:32 PM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

You're a star evy. I now have loads of room to add all the links I want to.

9/19/2005 7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home