Friday, September 09, 2005

Illustration Friday - ROOTS


No time because of work pressure so you get to see my very rough preliminary drawings (drawn in the back of my car manual while waiting for a child). Come back later if you want to see the finished version.
Tell me what you think of my new masthead.

Edited to add this picture

I'm not sure that this works. The trunk represents myself and Robin, the branches, our children, the roots our parents, grandparents etc. The other trees, other families. I thought I'd use a simple idea to experiment with different techniques, but I don't think I'm that keen on the outcome. Never mind I'm using Illustration Friday to try different styles, so I can't expect success every time.

5 Comments:

Blogger carla said...

Your header is absolutely gorgeous! I have been wanting to scan some leaves and work them into illustrations; they look so tangible here. Are you planning to change it with the seasons? It maight be tricky scanning snowflakes:>

Well, I shall return to see what you do with your sketches. I always enjoy seeing your work!

9/09/2005 1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your sketches! Nice and loose and expressive. Great stuff.

9/09/2005 8:18 PM  
Blogger Lisa Ridolfi said...

Your masthead is stunning, as is all of your work!
Lisa
http://threadcolors.typepad.com

9/10/2005 6:28 PM  
Blogger pedalpower said...

The tree painting is quite touching--I really like it.

9/12/2005 3:03 PM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Carla, Lisa, thank you - yes I do want to change the masthead regularly - though I don't know if I'll ever (in my life) have the time to do such detailed botanical illustrations - so the next one will probably be in a completely different style.

Tempestdelfuego hello and thank you

pedalpower - you're very kind but I think this might be one I add to my list of experimental failures

9/12/2005 3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home