Thursday, September 08, 2005

Fiji 1962


My father has just sent me a copy of this picture (of the two of us with a Fijian police officer) that he found in the attic. There aren't many childhood photos of me so it's a great source of wonderment to see this four year old child and think that this was once me.

The extraordinary thing about the Fiji Police in those days was that they had three different types of uniforms for the three main ethnic types - Fijian, European and Indian and I think that each group was proud of their differently styled uniform. Can you imagine the outrage in the UK if a uniformed service was to have different uniforms for different ethnic groups?

4 Comments:

Blogger vfm4 said...

even thinking about different uniforms would be a crime in the Netherlands...

very nice picture!

9/09/2005 1:02 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

I love the photograph ... and just realized that the Fijian police officer was wearing a skirt? This is great!

9/13/2005 11:45 AM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Hi Linda and vfm4. Yes the Fijian is wearing a skirt. The Fijians call it a 'sulu' - it's basically the Fijian word for 'sarong' and Fjian men wear both the informal beach type of 'sulu' and a formal version with a smart shirt and tie.

9/13/2005 12:11 PM  
Blogger Reenie said...

Hi Julie
I was born in Fiji 1962 and I have photos of my dad (NZ) in the Fijian Military Forces with the same uniform as I presume, your father's. Although, he's passed now, I do remember a group photo of the Forces in the early 1960's - Can't remember if they had all three types of uniform in that photo and I can't consult it as it's in storage in Nelson NZ and many miles away from here. Doreen

5/05/2009 1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home