Friday, August 05, 2005

EDM Vegetables-Samphire


I brought back a big bag of samphire from Southwold. The first time I tasted this delicious seaweed was just after Robin and I were married and it was served as a starter at a family lunch because Grandpa Oakley was very fond of it. I think I scored a lot of brownie points with him because when he asked if anyone knew where samphire was mentioned in literature, I was able to say straight away that it was in Shakespeare's 'King Lear'. I basked in the glow of his approval and didn't let on that 'Lear' had been my set Shakepeare text at school!

The way to serve it is to wash it thoroughly in several changes of water. Break off and throw away any tough stems or roots. Boil a big pan of unsalted water (growing by the sea means that the samphire is sufficiently salty). It usually takes only about two minutes for the samphire to be cooked through and tender. Then drain and serve with melted unsalted butter, freshly squeezed lemon juice and ground black pepper. Pick up the pieces of samphire and pull them through your teeth leaving the central fibrous strand behind. Have lots of wet wipes and towels to hand to clean buttery faces and hands.

9 Comments:

Blogger isay said...

it looks so tasty in your drawing!we don't have them here unfortunately but i will ask, i love seaweeds....

8/05/2005 11:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent work.

Detlef
http://www.detlefjumpertz.com

8/05/2005 11:31 PM  
Blogger Shelly McC said...

Gorgeous drawing Julie.

8/06/2005 12:09 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

Julie, Love the drawing and the description of how to eat the seaweed. :o)

8/06/2005 2:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really nicely done. And a new food/recipe to boot! 2 of my favourite topics all in 1 post.

8/06/2005 8:10 AM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Isay, when I was a child in Fiji, we used to have a different kind of seaweed served in coocunut milk which was also delicious. Maybe they have the same kind in the Philippines?
Thanks for all your kind comments comments.

8/06/2005 11:48 AM  
Blogger Julie Durocher said...

This is a beautiful drawing, Julie. I love it. Seaweed is one food I have never tried. Sounds good though.

8/06/2005 2:49 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

When I visit England, I intend to try this! sounds great. Love the drawing.
Lindsay

8/06/2005 5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely drawing, Julie! The samphire looks really delicious. Love the way you used blue color pencil to draw the plate too.

8/06/2005 9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home