Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Illustration Friday - TRANQUILITY


Once again other commitments have meant that I've had to put up an old drawing for this week's challenge. I drew this picture of my Grandad when I was about twelve. I used to stay with my grandparents for half terms and the Easter holidays when I was at boarding school. It was the same ritual every day. After lunch - the main meal of the day - my grandparents would build up and stoke the fire until the sitting room of their small terraced house was a fug of heat. They would carefully tune the television to the afternoon's horse-racing - which could take up to ten minutes of knob twiddling, ariel-moving, and a variety of admonishing thumps and kicks. Then they would both sit down on their huge armchairs, and start to read their papers. Within five minutes the room would be filled with the purr of one, and then the other, snoring away.

I was so-o-o-o bored, but the tedium of those holidays, if nothing else, enabled me to practice my drawing.

5 Comments:

Blogger vfm4 said...

you were really good then.. as you are now...
me dad used to sit and sleep like your granddad...

lovely pic!

7/27/2005 8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm having trouble accepting a twelve year old drew that. The perspective and flow of the piece is really sophisticated. You were/are quite talented.

7/27/2005 9:56 PM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Wignke, I think it shows that provided children have a few basics - some drawing implements, books, a musical instrument - it's probably quite beneficial for them to be bored.
I think I kept this drawing because it was better than my usual output.

7/28/2005 10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks good, I would never have guessed that you drew this as a child. I like the colors.

wynlen
wynleDesign

7/28/2005 11:51 AM  
Blogger Cin said...

beautiful drawing

7/29/2005 1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home