Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Illustration Friday - SPORT


I'm a butterfingers and I was always one of the last people to be picked for the team, so sport hasn't often been something I've enjoyed. However this depicts a moment of pure pleasure. Rounding the Needles in the 1987 Round the Island race. We had been cold and beating our way up to the Needles. There were hundreds of boats battling for space. As we rounded the Needles the spinnaker flew up, the warmth of the sun flooded our bodies as our boat changed direction. Up ahead were the multihulls, one of them being sailed by Robin who I'd met for the first time the evening before. Three months later we were married!

7 Comments:

Blogger bee'nme said...

I love illustrations that have great stories to go along with them. This is a really nice piece...and a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing!

7/06/2005 4:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

realy nice atmopshere to this illustration, like it a lot

7/06/2005 6:09 AM  
Blogger isay said...

lovely illustration and story!

7/06/2005 7:52 AM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Thank you for your nice comments, though in the end I wasn't all that happy with the end result - felt it was too laboured looking, and what I thought would look like charmingly inaccurate perspective, just looks wrong. Anyway onto the next challenge :)

7/06/2005 4:36 PM  
Blogger knottydon said...

I love the colors! Keep it up!

7/08/2005 11:43 AM  
Blogger Bobi+Bobi said...

Julie, are you OK ????

7/08/2005 1:11 PM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Thank you for asking - yes fine, the only person I had to worry about was my husband but he got to work before the bombs. He was also lucky because he had a folding bike at work so he was able to cycle home. Very sad for all the families whose lives have been turned upside down by this horror.

7/08/2005 1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home