Sunday, June 19, 2005

Family portrait

I used a low resolution newspaper photo as the reference for this picture - the newspaper couldn't manage to get us a decent original photo to keep, so I thought they wouldn't object if I used the photo as the basis for an illustration to give to Robin. Although I gave Robin the colour version, I'm not sure that the earlier black and white version isn't better. I might have another go but maybe with black and white and just paynes grey watercolour touches. Any constructive comments would be appreciated.


5 Comments:

Blogger bee'nme said...

I really love this - great composition and I love the perspective. Nice work and lovely family!

6/19/2005 10:25 PM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

I really have to thank the unknown photographer for the composition - wish I'd been able to get a decent copy of the photo.

6/20/2005 9:17 AM  
Blogger Ian T. said...

That is really frustrating, but you've definitely turned a negative into a positive with this lovely picture! Did you do it on paper or online? If on the computer, which program did you use?

6/23/2005 4:34 AM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

I did the black and white version first (black gouache on a large piece of cheap paper) and then scanned it (in pieces and patched it together in photoshop as my scanner isn't large enough). Then I printed that out on a large piece of watercolour paper (I can print max width of 320mm and any length on my lovely epson stylus 2100) Then I painted the colour in watercolour onto the printout. I had the original photo enlarged and up on my monitor whilst I was painting at the easel. The 2 stages were to allow me the option of trying out different colours but to still have the black and white version if I wanted. I then did the scanning and patching of the colour version to put on my blog.

6/23/2005 9:37 AM  
Blogger Mollie said...

This is beautiful! The color version is so lovely, but I also really like the effect of the black and white. Stunning!

6/24/2005 6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home